The impetus for the series derived from my realisation that a document had not been made of individuals who make up the Aboriginal arts community. In 2008, I was in a residency at the Banff Centre and saw for the first time a number of prominent indigenous artists together as a group—artists who I had previously only known by name alone. That coupled with my interest in portrait photography made me want to embark upon this documentary project.
VIEW MORE OF THE SERIES:
- REVEAL Awards (Winnipeg 2017)
- Ontario College of Art & Design University: Nigig Residency (Toronto 2016)
- Australia (Melbourne 2016)
- Ontario (Ottawa 2009-16, Toronto 2010 & 2012, Sault Ste Marie 2012, Brantford 2009-10)
- Banff (2008 & 2011)
- Winnipeg (2011)
- Santa Fe Suite (2012)
- America (New York 2010, Washington 2010, Boulder 2010)
- Complete Series (2008-ongoing)
Thank you to everyone who has been part of Facing the Camera.